Various small changes and other clean-up.

  • Changed the quick navigation menu to display on the side, and stay in the window, so it is always available. Also made it so that it slides in and out to take up less space.
  • Added a button to hide the “hilite color chooser”, since it can get in the way sometimes. Clicking to color glyphs works even if the chooser is hidden. The button is at the top of the page, next to the navigation menu.
  • Fixed the coloring of glyphs. Now it should work in Firefox as well.
  • Various bits of technical clean-up. Hopefully I didn’t break anything. If something used to work and now doesn’t, feel free to leave a comment.
  • Made corrections to the display of items K, P, and Q verso, and N side b.
  • Added a feature to rotate the tablet display 180º.
  • Added line numbers and a feature to be able to hide them.

I have changed the display pages to include “quick navigation” menus. These allow jumping directly to the desired side or line of the tablet.
quick_nav_bar

A few more improvements and changes:

  • I have added a total for the number of glyphs found. This is added after all hits have been loaded, which may take a while. It appears at the top of the list.
  • I have added a search capability for sequences of 2 glyphs. Note that this searches for sequences. It doesn’t distinguish whether the glyphs are linked or stacked, or simply adjacent. Also it only searches for glyphs which are immediately adjacent.
  • A link was added to the navigation bar called Corpus which links to the new site.

More »

I have made a number of improvements to the new pages. The most significant is the addition of a glyph search feature. This feature allows users to enter a Barthel code and view all instances of glyphs with that code, in context. The length of the context can be adjusted as well. The default is 300 (pixels) which usually allows for about 5 or 6 glyphs on each side. This search feature is similar to a feature that was implemented before, but in my testing was always excruciatingly slow. The current implementation should hopefully be quicker. Since the number of glyphs returned can be quite large, I have also added a short navigation menu at the top, which allows jumping to the hits for a given tablet.

The way this feature is now implemented, it is possible to bookmark search results. For instance a search for glyph 306 has the link:
http://kohaumotu.org/Rongorongo_new/views/glyph_search_by_code.php?code=306&type=b&context_width=300.

The Barthel/Fischer comparison pages have also been improved, so that there is less distortion to the Fischer glyphs. Glyph groups should no longer be pulled apart.

This site in its current form has become too hard to manage. So taking advantage of the possibilities offered by more advanced web technologies, I am going to start over.

A first step in this direction is available here.
New site
More »

In response to the issue of better quality images, I have now made a first stab at an improvement. I have now posted a new set of pages which display better scanned and edited versions of the Fischer drawings. The pages can be found here. Note that these pages display the tablets on single pages, with all lines as complete lines, no codes. They are also pretty big, so unless one has a very wide monitor, a lot of horizontal scrolling will be involved, particularly for something like the Staff.

More »

I have updated Barthel’s Grundlagen. Corrections to page 202 (thanks to M. de Laat for pointing this out), and various other typos fixed. The pdf has a sidebar TOC, but I have now also made Barthel’s TOC clickable.

The Fischer images for tablet Q have been replaced with considerably improved versions. This should be particularly apparent with the svgs.

Further comments about this issue to follow.

More »

Dedicated Fischer svg pages have now been added, for tablets S, T, U, V, and W. These pages load as single objects and have the advantage of being “clickable”, showing the individual glyphs, and also display the codes (though not aligned). It should be noted that these are the still the standard codes from Barthel/CEIPP, with only minimal tampering on my part. Fischer’s drawings differ at times from Barthel’s tracings, and the codes do not always match up. Fischer however never made any attempt to adjust the numbering for what he was seeing/drawing, and that job will still have to be undertaken.